Purpose: Create a set of cards to promote critical thinking during an online maker workshop for kids
Role: Research Assistant
Timeline: 12 month paid grant position
Skills: Technical composition, professional research study
Tools: Figma, Sketch, java, C++
an extension of “critical thinking”, It asks us to think about our practice and ideas and then it challenges us to step-back and examine our thinking by asking questions
Technological devices created to collect and sometimes analyze biological data from a persons body. Can be an item of clothing or an accessory (e.g Apple Watch, FITBIT) that is a type of electronic technology
I was a part of a team that focused on how youth interact with biowearable technology and the potential effects it has on their psychological and physiological health.
From our research we investigated how to support youth to understand and explore ethical issues grounded in the processes of prototyping during an after school online critical making workshop.
In order for the workshop to work we created a partially built kit for the workshop participants to put together. This consisted of parts to build a pinwheel and LED set, an assembled breathing sensor, the structure of a kid-friendly program software called MakeCode and reflection cards, which was my role.
I started with creating several mockups of how the content should be laid out so that I could plan out where the text and icons should go.
After integrating the content into the cards the team and I decided to use this design for the pilot study.
The Icons chosen each represent a different critical reflection topic reflected in a simple graphic that to uses the different colours to match each card. We ended up deciding to make two double sided cards instead of one because there was a lot of content to get through, where the first card is more general and the second is specific to the workshop.
Some challenges faced were after we conducted the pilot study using these cards, we found that some of the participants were not as receptive to the cards as we had thought, so we decided to redesign some of the elements within them.
I made revisions to the cards by getting feedback from the team and evaluating what needed to change in terms of the layout and titles on each card.
We ended up adding in more descriptive footers and headers and clearly numbering the cards so that it would make it more clear of which should be reflected on first and what the central focus was.